Pregnancy does not mean denial of the use of essential oils.
On the contrary, in this period of her life, the woman must be surrounded by bright and harmonious feelings and all that brings her delight and joy. Aromatherapy during pregnancy is able not only to maintain the health of the future mother but in some cases to replace or help avoid the intake of synthetic preparations.
Of course, it is not worthwhile to risk, forgetting about the responsibility all this has for the health of the child. However, this applies not only to essential oils.
Do we need to consult a doctor?
Certainly, if pregnancy occurs with some complications! In the case of normal pregnancy, consultation is desirable, especially if you trust your doctor and know that he is your good counselor.
In any case, it is worth considering carefully and following certain rules:
- Use no more than half the usual dose of essential oils.
- Use only highly diluted essential oils.
- Use only essential oils of proven natural origin in whose qualities you are fully convinced.
- Completely avoid their oral use.
- During pregnancy, some aromatherapies do not recommend taking baths with essential oils. Some, on the contrary, strongly recommend their use.
Here is a list of the oils we put as not recommended and recommended for use during pregnancy.
First of all, it should be noted that oils should NEVER need to be used during the first months of pregnancy. Some oils are not recommended as they are somewhat poisonous and can harm the mother and the fetus due to their specific effects and may cause the fetus to be ejected.
The essential oils that should be avoided during the first 3-4 months of pregnancy, first of all, are those who have menstrual stimulation; secondly those that are recommended and used in the process of delivery and their action causes contractions of the uterus; thirdly, a few particularly strong and somewhat poisonous oils that can damage both the mother and the fetus.
During pregnancy, the following oils are not recommended:
- Jasmine (first three months)
- Juniper berry
- Patchouli (in the last weeks)
- Rose (first three months)
- Sweet dill
- SageChamomile and lavender also belong to menstrual stimulating oils, but in minimal amounts and in small doses (from 1 to 1.5%) their use is possible, except when there is a risk of miscarriage (for example, contraindications include the presence of previous spontaneous abortions and bleeding during pregnancy).
Essential oils recommended for pregnancy:
- Geranium (in small doses)
- Jasmine (careful)
- Lavender (careful)
- Mint Japanese (cautiously)
- Rose (careful)
- Chamomile (careful)
- Pine (careful)
- Tea tree
6 Possible ways and situations when using essential oils in aromatherapy:
- Aromatic sticks. The lighting of aromatic sticks creates a cozy atmosphere and heals the atmosphere in the room (remember the dosage should be half that of the usual use!) /
- Aroma-medallion. Everyone knows that during pregnancy you need to protect yourself from flu and other acute respiratory and viral infections. But even in high season these diseases, sometimes having to visit public places – hospital, shop, on the street, in vehicles … Aroma medallion with pine oil, tea tree or eucalyptus will help you prevent from cold, flu and to deal with viral attacks! The best remedy for nausea is Japanese Mint Essential Oil. You can breathe it from the bottle, carry a pendant with it or add a small amount in a bath. Such a bath also has a refreshing effect in the summer heat.
- Aromatic bath. Aromatic baths can be taken during the entire pregnancy and will provide the mother with great pleasure and can also be a great way for relaxation and relaxation. Again, we remind you that it is necessary to avoid “dangerous” oils and too hot water.In the last months of pregnancy, women often experience discomfort, including the abrupt movements of the fetus. Sleep disturbances are also common in this period. Take a relaxing bath with neroli or ylang-ylang oils. The total amount of oil should not exceed 8 drops. To fall asleep, apply your pillow 2 drops of lavender.
- Cosmetics for skin and hair enriched with oils. Against the backdrop of hormonal changes, the condition of the skin and hair changes, and the change is not always in the positive direction. Particular attention should be paid to the condition of your hair after birth. Products enriched with natural essential oils are an excellent way to maintain the beauty of your skin and hair.
- Aroma Massage. Essential oil massage helps tone up and reduce the pain in the muscles that are overloaded during pregnancy, prevents the development of cellulite and the appearance of stretch marks. Attention: During pregnancy, massage should only be performed by an experienced specialist! At home, it is good to limit yourself to light self-massage.
Breasts during pregnancy increase in volume and require particular attention and care. Use gentle massage oil: add 3 drops of geranium oil and orange to 1 tablespoon of sweet almond oil. Almond oil is a great way to prevent the appearance of stretch marks or in the presence of breasts caused by breastfeeding.
Massage of the abdomen. In the first 4 months, do it extremely carefully, and after this period, the abdominal massage is not only useful but also pleasant. Very often the baby growing in the body reacts to the massage that is done to the mother. Babies who are usually heavily kicking and are more active during a soothing massage are relaxing and relaxing for a long time after the end of the massage. Babies, whose mothers have regularly performed a massage during pregnancy, are usually calm and cry after delivery. Going into the fifth month, the expectant mother not only recommends a regular massage with a professional masseuse but daily rubbing in the abdomen, chest and thighs of oils to prevent stretch marks. Massage: 1 tablespoon of almond oil, jojoba or wheat germ is mixed with 3 drops of neroli.
During pregnancy, the blood circulation in the legs is often infrequent and the veins swell. Mix 2 tablespoons of almond oil with 2 drops of lemon oil, 2 drops of cypress and 2 drops of lavender oil. Take this pressure-relieving mixture, rub with gentle movements daily. If the veins visibly increase the best effect you will get with the help of geranium oil, remembering that for pregnant women it must be highly diluted! Add 4 drops of geranium to 1 tablespoon of butter and, with gentle movements, massage your feet in the direction of the feet upwards.
During pregnancy, the lower back is subjected to a greater load. Your condition will be relieved by rubbing in this area a mixture of 2 tablespoons of cow’s base oil and 2 drops of sandalwood and lavender oil.
6.Foot baths. The leg swelling can also be reduced by using cool orange or lemon oil baths – add 2 drops directly to the jar with water. Best to be able to rest with legs raised on the wall or pillow.
If at any time you feel uncomfortable with using any of the described oils and methods of application, immediately stop and listen to your intuition. You know better than anybody at that moment and you feel what you need. But let’s remind you once again that pregnancy itself is not an obstacle to enjoying the magical world of fragrances. The pure energy of essential oils will also benefit the future mother and her baby.